[mythtv-users] HD-PVR IR Blaster Guide

John Welch jrw3319 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 00:55:57 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 9:32 AM, Bobby Schwartz <rschwartz at lastar.com> wrote:
> I've gotten a couple requests for more info on configuring this in Mythbuntu.  I posted some steps in the MythTV wiki for the HD-PVR.  http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hauppauge_HD-PVR  These steps should get most people up and running.  It does require compiling drivers - if you're not comfortable doing it then something like Fedora (already includes IR support) may be a better option.
>
> You'll still need a channel changer script.  Here's a simple example I wrote.  Remember to change keyprefix to suit your setup.
>
> #!/bin/bash
>
> irsend="irsend"
> SEND_ONCE="SEND_ONCE"
> remote="blaster"
> keyprefix="0_125_KEY_"
>
> for ((i=0 ; i<${#1} ; i++)); do
>  echo $irsend $SEND_ONCE $remote $keyprefix${1:i:1}
>  $irsend $SEND_ONCE $remote $keyprefix${1:i:1}
> done

Hi Bobby,

First, thanks for posting these steps in the wiki.  They made setting
up the IR blaster on my Fedora 12 Mythtv backend a relatively trivial
process.  Unfortunately things aren't quite working for me.  I've
followed your steps, and when I run the 'send_power_new' script I see
the red light on the transmitter come on as the 'irsend' commands are
sent, but the power never cycles on my cable box.  I've actually tried
with two different cable boxes; both Motorola, one a DCT3200 and the
other a DCT3412.  While neither is explicitly listed on the "IR
Codeset" page my understanding is that both of these boxes are
essentially the same as the corresponding DCT6xxx box (ie DCT6200 and
DCT6412).  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
John