[mythtv-users] importing existing recorded programs

backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org
Wed Dec 30 00:22:27 UTC 2009

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009, Mike said:

> > This is the officially supported way:
> > http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore. Partial
> > restore will get your recording data. Make sure you upgrade your
> > install to .22 before you backup. Otherwise you will restore a .21
> > database to a .22 installation.
>
> There's no good reason to do a partial restore for a working
> database--it's really only useful as a near-last-resort for people who
> have broken databases. Therefore, do a full restore.
>
> Just remember that if you change your hostname, you need to do
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Database_Backup_and_Restore#Change_the_hostname_of_a_MythTV_frontend_or_backend
> /before/ you start any mythtv program on the new-named host.
>
> Best approach, though, do a new install and give the host the /exact/
> same name as before. Then shut down all frontends and backends and do a
> full restore, then run mythtv-setup to upgrade the database.

OK, finally doing this (didn't get to it on Thanksgiving holiday, so now
doing it on Christmas holiday!).  I backed up the database on the 8.04
installation, saved it in an accessible place, and then booted into 9.10

I stopped the FE and BE, did a backup first, then dropped the existing
database using

mysql -uroot -p -e 'DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS mythconverg;'

Then I recreated a blank database using

mysql -uroot -p < /usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql

But when I went to do the restore (note, /mnt/sdb2 is /dev/sdb2 which is
8.04's /home partition):

user at mythtv:~$ sudo /usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl
--create-database --directory /mnt/sdb2/mythtv/ --filename
mythconverg-1214-20091229180321.sql.gz

I got

ERROR: Invalid database information file, stopped at
/usr/share/mythtv/mythconverg_restore.pl line 686.

I thought that perhaps I needed to use the old mc.sql from 8.04 (which
had / at /dev/sda3), so I did

user at mythtv:~$ sudo mysql -uroot -p -e 'DROP DATABASE IF EXISTS
mythconverg;
'Enter password:
user at mythtv:~$ locate mc.sql
/mnt/sda3/usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
/usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql
user at mythtv:~$ sudo mysql -uroot -p <
/mnt/sda3/usr/share/mythtv/sql/mc.sql

But I got the exact same error trying to restore.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Jon S.