[mythtv-users] Wake up slave backend via OSD?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Dec 29 19:29:19 UTC 2009

On 12/29/2009 04:09 AM, Florian Bittner wrote:
> according to http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/changeset/20084 sleeping backends
> are NOT available to live tv, only for recordings. So it would be a nice
> thing if one could wake up a slave backend via osd.

OSD?  You mean using the GUI?  (As the OSD only exists during playback.)

>  Is there a functionality
> for this? If not, can anyone tell me the simplest way to do this?

Script using wakeonlan or wol or whatever your preferred tool is.

>  Is there a
> way to add a command to the osd?

Again, GUI?  If so, use EXEC in the menu theme.  You can find an example
with:

grep -r EXEC /usr/{,local/}share/mythtv/themes

Don't use EXECTV, as in the example.  EXECTV would "check out" a capture
card and prevent Myth from using it--which is /only/ appropriate when
using a TV application like tvtime that will use a capture card.

>  The only way i have in mind is via a lirc
> command, but this is not that nice :-)

irexec would be nice.

Mike