[mythtv-users] Mythfrontend crashes with no error after upgrade.

Jeremy Young jeremyrainman at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 29 17:16:11 UTC 2009

>> I upgraded to .22 just this weekend, and was hit with a strange
>> situation. I've been fighting it for a couple days now. When I
>> initially upgraded, both the BE and FE complained of being unable to
>> connect to the database, despite all my efforts to provide them with
>> the proper login information. I discovered this:
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Troubleshooting:Mythbackend_will_not_start_after_upgrade
>>

>> and searched for multiple mysql.txt files, but found only one in my
>> user/.mythtv directory. I think my issue was separate from that one.
>> Despite this I upgraded mysql and recreated the mythtv user in mysql,
>> this seems to have gotten at least the backend to run. It still seems
>> quite touchy about connecting to the database though.
>>
>> However, now the FE crashes with no explanation. It will go to the
>> base color screen for the theme that is selected, and then it drops
>> me to X immediately. I get about 1 second of mythfrontend running,
>> and then nothing. I can't find anything in the FE logs that explains
>> why this would be. Is there some other release note/issue that might
>> be causing this? The front-end worked fine on Wednesday, and nothing
>> except myth and mysql were upgraded. I can provide logs if necessary
>> (but honestly I couldn't find anything in it that indicated trouble).
>
> Some how I managed to select Boise, ID as the time zone for the front
> end and  Denver, CO for the backend. My front end refused to run and
> exhibited the same behavior as you describe. (Flash of frontend, dump
> to X). Even though these two cities are in the Mountain Time zone,
> Myth apparently does not recognize this. So Boise on both or Denver on both
> seems to have fixed the problem.

I'm not sure where to fix the time-zone issue. Mythtv-setup doesn't have any place to specify time zone, and all the config files I've familiarized myself with have no place where it is specified.

Here's my FE log: http://tinyurl.com/y9zhxdg
Here's the BE log for the same time: http://tinyurl.com/y8hvk3q

I don't see anything in them that even indicates why the FE is crashing. There doesn't seem to be any error at all that is a problem. These were both done on verbose level 'most'

----- Jeremy