[mythtv-users] Init: mythtv-backend main process ended, respawning (loop)

Larry J on his Dell LT larry at foxgulch.com
Tue Dec 29 00:02:31 UTC 2009

I added the mythbuntu "builds repo",  installed all the "updates" and
now myth
will NOT boot into the xfce desktop.

On screen during boot,  I get this over and over  in  a loop. (the 27307
number varies)
(BTW, I removed "splash silent" in the grub entry because I like to see
what's going on)

init: mythtv-backend main process (27307) terminated with status 254
init: mythtv-backend main process ended, respawning
init: mythtv-backend main process (27323) terminated with status 254
init: mythtv-backend main process ended, respawning
init: mythtv-backend main process (27339) terminated with status 254

So I read here   http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-1309598.html
that the problem had been "Solved".    Just change the entry
for the mythtv user in /etc/passwd  from /bin/false to /bin/sh.

So I use the recovery mode, drop into a root shell and nano the /etc/passwd.

Trouble is my  mythtv user is already  /bin/sh   so the problem wasn't
solved for me.

Any suggestions?  (Short of wiping the HD and starting over for the 12th
time!)

Larry