[mythtv-users] DVD ISOs

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Mon Dec 28 20:09:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 28, 2009 at 12:47:31PM -0500, Johnny wrote:
> > thanks for the quick replies; here is what dd does:
> >
> > $ dd if=/dev/sr0 of=/home/richard/dd.iso
> > dd: reading `/dev/sr0': Input/output error
> > 54016+0 records in
> > 54016+0 records out
> > 27656192 bytes (28 MB) copied, 21.6068 s, 1.3 MB/s
>
> These discs use very complex copy protection schemes, including
> corrupt filesystems, bad sectors on the disc, etc. If ripping them
> were easy then people like DVDFab and Slysoft's AnyDVD wouldn't have a
> very good business model. I know ripping DVDs is discussed frequently
> on the list, but when you get into ways to get around copy protection
> then you are straying into areas that are not allowed on the list.

    If you have a DVD that is "broken" as a means of copy protection then
you will just have to get a Windows program to decrypt the disk and work
from there. Some of the newer schemes will generate some really bizarre
results if you just try to play the main title normally or read the table
of contents.