[mythtv-users] Ubuntu dependencies

Johnny jarpublic at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 18:24:41 UTC 2009

> I want to install MythTV to see and record my TV programs. I didn't find any
> official repositories so I install from Ubuntu's ones.
>
> When I execute "sudo apt-get install mythtv" I have dependencies problem
> with "libvdpau1" and "nvidia-glx-195". I need thoose packages to graphyc
> acceleration.
>
> Someone can help with this?

The problem you are seeing is that the seeing is that the standard
packages are dependent on a driver specific nvidia driver. I believe
it is nvidia-185-libvdpau in the standard repo. Nvidia recommends that
things be packaged in a way that a generic libvdpau be used so that
programs like mythtv aren't dependent on a specific driver, but only
that libvdpau be available.

Many people use the Mythbuntu repositories. You can get the newer
.22-fixes builds which will have a lot of bug fixes since the ones
that are in the default repository. Mythbuntu also has some good user
friendly guides and setup tools. For a new user who is on Ubuntu, I
highly recommend using the Mythbuntu tools and repositories
(http://www.mythbuntu.org/download-type). Just to clarify Mythbuntu
isn't really a separate distribution it is a just a set of mythtv
specific packages. You can choose to have it add in mythtv artwork and
change the desktop manager, etc. But that is all up to you and easily
changed with their configuration tools.

I think in the .22+fixes branch, mythbuntu has switched to using
libvdpau or if they still use nvidia-xxx-libvdpau. I use Jean-Yves
Avenard's repository. I am sure that he packages things to use
libvdpau1 and he has the latest 195 drivers in his repo. So since you
already have the drivers installed like that you should just be able
to use his repository straight up
(http://avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Ubuntu_Repository.html). I
would scroll down and read his posts on the subject first though.

http://avenard.org/media/Ubuntu_Repository/Entries/2009/11/9_Karmic_and_Using_Avenard_repo.html