[mythtv-users] Performance issues with ext4

Doug Lytle support at drdos.info
Sun Dec 27 19:47:01 UTC 2009

Boleslaw Ciesielski wrote:
> I have not seen it mentioned before, so I just want to relay my
> experience.
>
> About three weeks ago I upgraded my main myth box from Fedora 10 to
> Fedora 12. It was actually a clean install, though I copied several
> config files and did a full database restore. I was already running
> 0.22 then.

If I recall correctly, they made changes to the ext4 file system (They
being the kernel people) that made the file system resilient against
file system corruption.  In doing so, everything took a performance hit.

Phoronix stated:

"EXT4 could be mounted in a way that it would not suffer as many
performance penalties (at the risk of data being potentially lost in a
crash) and the other file-systems can be tuned as well, but we will save
that tuning and mount option testing for another article. Stay tuned to
Phoronix though as the EXT4 performance is set to get even worse later
with the Linux 2.6.33 kernel
<http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=search&q=Linux+2.6.33>, which we
will talk about later this week.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2632_fs&num=5