[mythtv-users] Error: MythTV database has newer TV schema (1247) than expected (1244). Solved!

Larry J on his Dell LT larry at foxgulch.com
Sun Dec 27 15:06:16 UTC 2009

John Drescher wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 26, 2009 at 1:43 PM, Larry J on his Dell LT
> <larry at foxgulch.com> wrote:
>
>> I have a backend which seems to be recording and plays back recordings.  So
>> I used the same mythbuntu install cd to put a frontend on another box.
>> When I start the frontend box,  I get:
>>
>> "Error:  MythTV database has newer TV schema (1247) than expected (1244).
>>
>> Database Host: 192.168.1.106
>> Database Name: mythconverge"
>>
>> OK so I fire up  phpmyadmin on the backend and sure enough in the
>> mythconverge dB, settings table, value:DBSchemaVer is the data 1247.
>> So I figured I would just change the front end mythconverge, settings table,
>> DBSchemaVer to 1244.  Trouble with that is apparently there is no
>> mythconverge mysql dB in the front end.  And why should there be since I'm
>> going to connect and use the backend's dB.
>>
>> So where is the frontend getting the "expected 1244" Schema Version?  How do
>> I change the Schema Version on the frontend to 1244?
>>
>> Thank you,
>> Larry
>>
>> From the frontend box:
>> lj at lian2:~$ mythfrontend --version
>> Please include all output in bug reports.
>> MythTV Version   : 23003
>> MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-22-fixes
>> Network Protocol : 50
>> Library API      : 0.22.20091023-1
>> QT Version       : 4.5.2
>> Options compiled in:
>> linux profile using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack using_backend
>> using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_glx_proc_addr_arb
>> using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu
>> using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video using_opengl_vsync
>> using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv using_xvmc
>> using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python
>> using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live
>> using_mheg
>>
>> From the backend box:
>> lj at mythtv:~$ mythbackend --version
>> Please include all output in bug reports.
>> MythTV Version   : 23001
>> MythTV Branch    : trunk
>> Network Protocol : 55
>> Library API      : 0.23.20091222-1
>> QT Version       : 4.5.2
>> Options compiled in:
>> linux debug using_oss using_alsa using_pulse using_jack using_pulseoutput
>> using_backend using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend
>> using_glx_proc_addr_arb using_hdhomerun using_hdpvr using_iptv using_ivtv
>> using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc using_mheg using_opengl_video
>> using_opengl_vsync using_qtwebkit using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
>> using_xvmc using_xvmc_vld using_xvmcw using_bindings_perl
>> using_bindings_python using_opengl using_vdpau using_ffmpeg_threads
>> using_libavc_5_3 using_live using_mheg
>>

> You need to run the same version on the frontend and backend. You can
> not mix 0.23 and 0.22.

Thanks John D and Robert M for pointing out the obvious.  For benefit of
others who might blunder into this problem,  here's how I went wrong.

I installed using the Mythbuntu iso.  If you go to their web site, you
are offered the opportunity to get late breaking / hot off the press
updates directly  from Mythbuntu.   That sounded like a good idea so I
downloaded the .deb from Mythbuntu AutoBuilds page
(http://www.mythbuntu.org/auto-builds) and installed it.   Then in
Mythbuntu's handy  mythbuntu-control-centre  I managed to some how
specify  version .23 of myth for my backend and  .22 for my newly
installed frontend (the one that emitted the error message which is the
subject of this thread).  So my task for today is to reinstall down to
the .22 fixes from .23 on my backend.

When these two programs  got together over my LAN,  they must have had a
good laugh at my expense.   Any I hope my experience helps someone else.

Larry