[mythtv-users] MythMediaMonitor: A MythVideo Alternative

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Dec 27 07:09:01 UTC 2009

I never got the original message, so I apologize for replying a few
levels down. I have a few critiques.

_IMDB grabber_
Don't use this.  IMDB has made it known that you are not to use programs
to scrape their site.  If you must use IMDB data, they make their entire
database available for download and local processing.

_TVRage grabber_
While TVRage doesn't explicitly forbid scrapers, you shouldn't do it.
They spent the time to make a nice API available for you to use instead.
http://tvrage.com/infocenter.php?go=view&mid=7#vq35
http://services.tvrage.com/

_MythVideo grabbers_
MythVideo currently provides two additional grabbers for TheTVDB.com and
TheMovieDB.org that you can use.

_Database access_
Right now, you require the user to supply their access credentials.
Ideally you would parse ~/.mythtv/config.xml for this information.

_Language_
While this is your own program, and you're free to do as you please, I
would highly suggest using a language other than Bash.  MythTV bindings
have been written for both the Perl and Python languages, which will
process the config.xml for you.  Those languages can much more easily
handle string processing, sql access, and provide automated parsing of
markup languages like HTML and XML.