[mythtv-users] MythMediaMonitor: A MythVideo Alternative

Ben Curtis mythtv at nosolutions.com
Sat Dec 26 04:26:05 UTC 2009

Hey everyone,

Since the release of MythTV 0.22 and the increased support for MythTV's
internal player, I've had the desire to have all of my media in one place,
instead of scattered between MythVideo and Watch Recordings.  I have written
this software, MythMediaMonitor, to incorporate all my external TV shows and
movies directly into the Watch Recordings screen.  I'd love for you guys to
check it out, play around with it, and comment on it before I look into
incorporating it into the Wiki.  Links and details are below.

Announcement w/ overview video:

http://nowsci.com/techviews/20091225/launch-of-mythmediamonitor-for-mythtv/
Information and download:
   http://nowsci.com/mythmediamonitor

Thanks,
Benjamin Curtis
http://nowsci.com

Details:
--------
MythMediaMonitor is an advanced bash shell script designed to incorporate
external media directly into the recordings screen of Mythfrontend.  At one
time, this required the use of the MythVideo plug-in.

As of version 0.22, the MythTV internal media player has added support for
most known media types.  Because of this, mplayer or xine are no longer
required to play media.  MythMediaMonitor, when run from cron, will monitor
folders for TV and movie files, and automatically insert them into the
MythTV database.  This gives you all the added functionality of the MythTV
interface, such as marking shows watched, without the need for navigating
into a separate video plug-in.
Features

The following features are currently supported.

    * Dynamic selection of Recording Group to insert media into
    * Auto extraction of MKV subtitles to SRT for playing in MythTV's
internal player
          o Includes language selection option
    * DEBUG and RUN flags for testing without modification to your MythTV
database
    * Grabs the following data from the media file and tvrage.com
          o Show title
          o Episode number
          o Season number
          o Subtitle
          o Description
          o Original Air Date
          o File size
    * Caches tvrage.com data during each run to minimize internet traffic
    * Grabs the following data from the media file and IMDB.com
          o Movie title
          o Plot
          o Primary Photo for thumbnail in Mythfrontend
          o File size
    * TV filename support for the following formats
          o */<title>.s##e##.*
          o */<title>_s##e##_*
          o */<title>.s##e#.*
          o */<title>_s##e#_*
          o */<title>.s#e##.*
          o */<title>_s#e##_*
          o */<title>.s#e#.*
          o */<title>_s#e#_*
          o */<title>.s##.e##.*
          o */<title>_s##_e##_*
          o */<title>.s##.e#.*
          o */<title>_s##_e#_*
          o */<title>.s#.e##.*
          o */<title>_s#_e##_*
          o */<title>.s#.e#.*
          o */<title>_s#_e#_*
          o */<title>.###.*
          o */<title>_###_*
          o */<title>.####.*
          o */<title>_####_*
          o */<title>.##.##.*
          o */<title>_##_##_*
    * Movie filename support for the following formats
          o */<movie title>/filename.ext
    * Supports listing of multi-CD rips using the following file name
structure
          o *cd1*
          o *cd2*
          o *CD1*
          o *CD2*
    * Locates the following media types
          o iso
          o mpg
          o mpe
          o mpeg
          o m1s
          o mpa
          o mp2
          o m2a
          o mp2v
          o m2v
          o m2s
          o avi
          o mov
          o qt
          o asf
          o asx
          o wmv
          o wma
          o wmx
          o real
          o rm
          o ra
          o ram
          o rmvb
          o mp4
          o 3gp
          o ogm
          o mkv
    * Supports/requires independent TV and movie folders
    * Checks for requirements before running
    * Deletion of media file when deleted from Mythfrontend (if delete via
symlink is enabled)

Upcoming Features
-----------------

The following features are planned for future versions.

    * VIDEO_TS directory support
    * Clean up and removal of files once a video is deleted from within
MythTV

Requirements
------------

The following are required to run the script, but are included by default in
most distributions.

    * sed
    * tr
    * wget
    * grep
    * mysql
    * convert
    * mkvinfo+
    * mkvextract+
    * touch
    * sleep
    * ln
    * du

+ The MKV tools are only required if you have the RIPSUBS option enabled.