[mythtv-users] FF h.264 files using Internal Player

Taylor Ralph tralph11 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 25 20:53:45 UTC 2009

--- On Fri, 12/25/09, Warpme <warpme at o2.pl> wrote:

> From: Warpme <warpme at o2.pl>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] FF h.264 files using Internal Player
> To: "MythTV - User list" <mythtv-users at mythtv.org>
> Date: Friday, December 25, 2009, 12:30 PM
> Taylor,
>
> I applied 7521 & 7424 over 0.22-fixes 23003.

I assume you meant 7454 not 7424.

> Tested on:
> -MPEG2 SD
> -m2ts HD (1080p H264; 1080p VC1; 1080i VC1)
> -mkv HD (1080p H264)
> Results (so far):
> -no negative effects on MPEG2 SD

Good. Your probably seeking in an MPEG-PS container which is expected to work properly although not as fast compared to seeking with a seek table.

> -FF on MKVs working beautifully (fast, predictable and
> exact)

Excellent. I've experienced the same. I highly recommend people use this container for their videos if possible.

> -FF on M2TS are "vibrant". I mean when move jumps to
> destination point, it 3-5 times
> jumps-forward-jumps-back-jumps-forward.

This is currently expected since MPEG-TS seeking support in FFmpeg has issues which are being worked on upstream. In addition to incorrect behavior it is also painfully slow. Future syncs to FFmpeg will hopefully help with this.

Please note that any video that doesn't have a seek table built by MythTV will use FFmpeg file based seeking. If you want proper seeking for MPEG-TS files you should build a seek table. The drawback to this is that it can significantly increase the size of your database.

Thanks for taking the time to test and report your results.

--
Taylor