[mythtv-users] Firewire or capture card?

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Fri Dec 25 00:01:41 UTC 2009

On Thursday 24 December 2009 02:32:03 pm steve wrote:
> It's even worse than I thought, then :-/  Yes you would think that since we
> are paying (a lot) for the cable signal we'd be able to use it.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem with blocked channels, especially on Cox
> Arizona (my provider) through a SA3250HD?

FWIW, my provider is Cox in Rhode Island. I get more-or-less everything but
the premiums (Showtime in my case). Oddly, one local PBS station seems to be
blocked, too, and until recently TMC HD (part of the Showtime package) came
through fine, but I think they've started encrypting it recently. :-(

> On the wiki (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Firewire_Cable_Box_Compatibility)
> andreasch says he's getting SD and OTA HD channels but no premium.  But
> another Cox subscriber in Hampton Roads says he's getting premium channels
> except Comedy Central.  I don't get why Cox would block here but not
> there...

My SUSPICION is that this has more to do with mistakes than planning. In other
words, somebody mis-typed a channel number in a "to-be-encrypted" database
somewhere. If so, it's likely to change eventually. FWIW, I can record Comedy
Central in HD over FireWire with no problems, but of course that's in Rhode
Island.

--
Rod Smith