[mythtv-users] Displaying 4 channels at once?

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 20:48:41 UTC 2009

2009/12/24 Mike Dent <mcdent at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> in order to try and track down some of my odd signal/ber problems, I
> wonder if it is possible to display my 4 physical tuners
> one one screen each with signal level and ber displayed on top of the
> picture. I could then tune them all to the same channel and
> have a play with my antenna, amplifiers, cables etc?
>
> Or any other ideas on how best to look at this problem.

A simpler way would be to open up and align 4 terminals and run tzap
on each of the tuners simultaneously, using a common channels.conf
file. Different DVB-T cards/drivers may well give different
SNR/BER/UNC values, but you should be able to gauge whether the
numbers are improving or worsening over time for each tuner.

To help minimise signal loss, get any amplifiers as close to the
aerial as possible and use the highest quality coax you can. I would
also try and take baseline readings by connecting each tuner directly
to the aerial downlead to help determine where signal losses are
occuring when the amps are inline, and whether the different tuners
are reporting different values.

Cheers,
Nick

--