[mythtv-users] Firewire or capture card?

bhaskins at chartermi.net bhaskins at chartermi.net
Thu Dec 24 18:38:20 UTC 2009

---- steve <networks1 at cox.net> wrote:

> My existing MythTV setup has crapped out (capture hardware failure) and I am
> starting over.  I want to get the new system set up to handle HD, and I'm
> trying to decide between doing a firewire connection to the cable box (SA
> Explorer 3250HD) and using a capture card.  The firewire option seems
> sensible, but I've been looking at the Wiki page on that and it sounds like
> a "challenging" setup.  Also the reports on the firewire cards flag a lot of
> cases where they don't work, don't support channel changing, don't stream
> video properly, etc.  So would I be better off using a dedicated capture
> card like the pcHDTV 5500?
>

> Your thoughts appreciated, especially if you have done either option.
>

> TIA.Steve

In my experience, FireWire is a dream on the very few channels that are
not blocked which can often can include even ABC and PBS.
Plus, if I happen to mis-type a channel and land on one that that will not lock,
the system locks up and it takes a lot of keystrokes to get it going again.

The idiotic greed of a few vested interests that like the Bill/Steve brothers are determined
to suck out every last penny will in the long run just drive their customers elsewhere.
It is a damn shame, it could be the ideal video capture system.