[mythtv-users] Keep recorded shows

Jeff junk_inbox at verizon.net
Thu Dec 24 15:50:46 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 12:32 AM, Michael T. Dean
<mtdean at thirdcontact.com>wrote:

> On 12/24/2009 12:26 AM, Brent Bolin wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Dec 23, 2009 at 11:18 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>> So is this the correct syntax to create a sub directory called

> Don't use /var/lib/mythtv/recordings since that's your recordings
> directory.  Use something like /var/lib/mythtv/links or
> /var/lib/mythtv/pretty or /var/lib/mythtv/views .
>
> mythrename.pl --link /var/lib/mythtv/pretty --format %T/%T%-%S
>
>  I haven't looked at the syntax in a while. But as I recall the the
>>> --link argument is the key. Otherwise mythrename will overwrite the
>>> file names on the original files. As long as you are using --link you
>>> and putting them in another directory you should be safe.
>>>
>> Is this writing anything to the DB?
>>

> Nope.  That's why it's safe with --link.
>
> Mike
>
> Brent,

  Remember that this is only creating symbolic links with 'meaningful'
names, and that your actual mpeg files are still in your recordings
directory. So don't forget to transcode it to your other disk!  Otherwise,
if the recording expires and the original file is deleted, your symbolic
link is useless... ;-)

J-e-f-f-A