[mythtv-users] Comparison Geforce 8200 vs AMD HD4200

Patrick Doyle wpdster at gmail.com
Thu Dec 24 13:54:42 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 24, 2009 at 1:25 AM, Razorblade <Razorblade at kabelbw.de> wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> does anybody of you have experience with the Radeon IGP HD4200 and mythtv?

It's funny you should ask.  I just bought a GIGABYTE motherboard that
has this as the built in video chipset.  It works fine (well, mostly
fine, see below) with the open source driver, but I cannot get it to
work with the AMD proprietary driver.

By "mostly fine", I mean that X runs fine... I can watch TV through
this card hooked up to my TV via an HDMI cable, but I don't get any
audio through that cable.  I have tried numerous different
combinations of open source vs proproprietary driver, downloading and
installing the ATI proprietary driver directly (as opposed to what is
current released in Ubuntu 9.10), downloading, compiling, and
installing the latest ALSA drivers (which are newer than what is
released in Ubuntu 9.10), and, most recently, reinstalling Mythbuntu
in 32 bit mode (instead of 64 bit mode).

At this point, I'm going to go to Radio Shack sometime over the
holidays, buy a 1/8" to RCA splitter, and just use the HDMI+analog
audio port on my TV.  In the mean time, I'll keep an eye on the ATI
site to see if they release a newer version that says something about
the 4200.

--wpd