[mythtv-users] Uninterruptible Power Supply

Jan Ceuleers jan.ceuleers at computer.org
Tue Dec 22 13:39:24 UTC 2009

Ronald Frazier wrote:
> I have a UPS on my system. As I recall, I think it will give me about
> 40 minutes of runtime with my setup. However, in my personal
> experience here where I live, I can't remember the last time I had a
> power outage that lasted more then 5 minutes but didn't go into the
> several hour range (actually, the last significant one I recall was
> the big Northeast power grid failure). Thus I have absolutely no
> interest in protecting against any significant power failure...just
> against the brief interruptions.

I would suggest that there are two benefits to having a UPS, only one of which (protection against short-duration power outages) you regard as one.

The other-one is the ability to shut down machinery cleanly and without undue data loss. The bit of your message that I did not quote indicated that this aspect is of less use to you (which is fine), but to many people this is the principal reason why they have a UPS.

(For completeness: surge protection is a third benefit, but that can be obtained by means of a surge protector as well, i.e. without a UPS).

Jan