[mythtv-users] Uninterruptible Power Supply

Ronald Frazier ron at ronfrazier.net
Tue Dec 22 12:58:00 UTC 2009

> are UPS worth the cost?
> How many hours should I am for?
> should I connect my wireless router to the ups?

I have a UPS on my system. As I recall, I think it will give me about
40 minutes of runtime with my setup. However, in my personal
experience here where I live, I can't remember the last time I had a
power outage that lasted more then 5 minutes but didn't go into the
several hour range (actually, the last significant one I recall was
the big Northeast power grid failure). Thus I have absolutely no
interest in protecting against any significant power failure...just
against the brief interruptions. I've got my mythbox, 2 routers, and
HDHomerun all plugged in, so recordings should go completely
uninterrupted. I haven't bothered trying to setup a system to monitor
the UPS and shutdown if it's running low. I figure in the rare event
that we have a significant power failure and I'm not around to shut
down...I'll just hope the filesystem and/or DB corruption isn't too
extensive. If so, that's what weekly backups are for.

--
Ron