[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Tue Dec 22 10:06:25 UTC 2009

David Brodbeck wrote:
> On Mon, December 21, 2009 9:34 am, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>> The database schema can
>> be found in the wiki, but some of the tables are not documented and
>> even for those that are many of the fields have no description.
>
> I think the official position is that end users shouldn't be messing
> directly with the database, anyway, so I doubt documenting it is high on
> the priority list.

Yeah, but I think the point is, if you want users to become developers, they are
going to need some documentation to get them started. Some kind of overview of
the database tables to get an idea of the architecture would seem to me to be
almost essential.

Or do you expect would-be coders to spend their time grepping every source file
in the project just to find where each database field is referenced, and then to
find out where it's read and written? Bearing in mind that even that won't
necessarily tell you what that field does.

[30 years a coder. Always read all the manuals. Always wrote documentation,
since I knew that I was probably not going to be the one who maintained what I
wrote.]

--

Mike Perkins