[mythtv-users] Internal player has problems in myth

sonofzev at iinet.net.au sonofzev at iinet.net.au
Tue Dec 22 04:01:58 UTC 2009

>On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 2:12 AM, Marius Schrecker marius at schrecker.org> wrote:
>>

>> I haven't found "Internal" ready for primetime either in 0.22
>>
>> Issues:
>> Bad sync issues from some files: Both audio and subtitle
>> Can't play my h264/mkv rips due to the blocking problem. I haven't tried the
patch, but to be honest don't want to be bothered with recompiling it every time
there's an update. I stick to the Avenard repos, and presumably at some point the
issues will be fixed.

>> The good news is that with Jean Yves framerate sync patch it plays less
jerkily than the alternatives. So I do use it for files which it can handle.

>> Otherwise I use Mplayer for h264/mkv rips and xine for isos.
>>
>> It's not ideal, but at least I can play my media.
>>
>> As for the waf, I have it mostly sorted using sensible lirc mappings.
>>
>> Cheers!
>> Marius
>
>Bright idea: use storage groups for video as well as recordings.
>
>Unbright idea: make storage groups only usable with the Internal
>player, when Internal is not ready for primetime.
>
>I know the devs are great, really busy and do it in their spare time.
>This is not a criticism, just a minor rantette. I think you'd have to
>say many people now prefer h264/mkv video files, and probably also
>have many dvd's, either as platters or ripped. Unfortunately Internal
>doesn't seem to be reported as working well on either of those
>formats. *sigh*.
>
>Anyway, 0.22 is a long way from 1.00, so lets encourage the devs to
>keep working on this fantastic project!

Glad I read this post.
Was thinking of doing the upgrade to 0.22 as a holiday project. However WAF is
currently high with my very stable 0.21 fixes (JYA patches using jmdreschers
ebuild)..
I could do the lirc thing to use xine and mplayer.. however that would take time
and would blow the WAF away...

Unless someone on Gentoo can report that these problems don't exist on the
Internal player on a gentoo system.. but that is really just wishful thinking.