[mythtv-users] MythTV vs Tivo (Australia)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Dec 21 23:59:10 UTC 2009

On Monday 21 December 2009 04:50:06 pm Bruce Nordstrand wrote:
> I have been bugging my Dad about getting a MythTV box and he has
always
> baulked. It doesnšt matter how many times I show him ours, hešs not
> convinced. However, he now has it in his mind to get a Tivo down here in
> Australia. I know nothing about these things so was wondering if anyone
> could give me pros and cons of Myth vs Tivo? I would much rather he had
> Myth box, spending $600.00 on a Tivo would give him a reasonable Myth
> machine with the right bits.....

A complete list of why Myth is better then Tivo would probably overload this
list server, but:

Commercial flagging/skipping

Files are stores as unencrypted video in open formats.

Ability to use as many tuners or capture devices.

Many plugins available that provide functions not available with Tivo

But, having said that, Myth is not for everyone, some people are happier
with a commercial product, especially if they are not comfortable with
computers.

Unless you happen to live where you can give rapid service to your Dad in
the event he has problems, or just questions, I'd be careful about turning a
non-techie loose with a Myth system.

If you are able and willing to provide the support required, go for it.

My 80-year-old Mom is now very comfortable with Linux and Myth, but it took
a long time to get to that point.