[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Dec 21 21:40:59 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 4:24 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 1:19 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Robert McNamara
>> <robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> users that myth is intended as a "product."  Myth is (IMHO) a
>>> "project," and not one driven by marketshare, user uptake, hardware
>>> partnerships, etc.  When it ceases to be fun, work slows or stops-- so
>>> if one cannot contribute, the best thing they can do is at least to to
>>> maintain a fun environment so that working on Myth isn't a chore.
>>
>> So why even bother to have a mythtv-users mailing list if the
>> developers don't want to hear from users?
>> I've listed both specific as well as general issues that I see with
>> MythTV both in terms of its documentation as well as its development
>> process.
>>

> The users list is for users to have a place to discuss and help one
> another with setup and use issues.  Many/most of the developers are
> not subscribed to this list because they find it either too caustic or
> the signal to noise ratio too low.

Such lists usually are.  Does anybody triage postings for ones that
SHOULD be seen
by the developers?

I'm sorry, I thought you were being sarcastic when you said:

>I think the message he's trying to convey is "If you don't want
>to/can't muck around in the source code, you will have to make do with
>what you get, because we're all human beings doing this in our spare
>time, for free, and doing our best while still trying to pay the
>mortgage."

I'll stop trying to convince people (core developers?) that spending
some time improving technical documentation would more then pay for
itself in less noise on mythtv-users, better bug reports,
occasional bug fixes, etc.

I won't respond to any further messages on this thread.  If for some
reason someone wants to continue you can email me offlist.

Bill Bogstad