[mythtv-users] [RANT] mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Bill Bogstad bogstad at pobox.com
Mon Dec 21 21:19:36 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 2:27 PM, Robert McNamara
<robert.mcnamara at gmail.com> wrote:
> users that myth is intended as a "product."  Myth is (IMHO) a
> "project," and not one driven by marketshare, user uptake, hardware
> partnerships, etc.  When it ceases to be fun, work slows or stops-- so
> if one cannot contribute, the best thing they can do is at least to to
> maintain a fun environment so that working on Myth isn't a chore.

So why even bother to have a mythtv-users mailing list if the
developers don't want to hear from users?
I've listed both specific as well as general issues that I see with
MythTV both in terms of its documentation as well as its development
process.

> More flies with honey and all that.

Another way to look at this is that as a potential bug
reporter/documentation fixer, what I'm getting is vinegar.  My
messages may have been a bit sarcastic, but I haven't flamed anyone.
I haven't demanded
(any) new features.  I've pointed out that there are huge numbers of
core mythtv-setup options that if they are documented anywhere it
might be in some list thread somewhere or perhaps a changelog from a
year ago.  In some cases, I have posted my best guess on how things
work.  Without reading even more of the source code then I already
have, I don't see how I can do more.  As I alluded to in another note,
there is a pretty big jump from 'naive user' to 'core developer' and
it seems to me that there isn't much in the way of  help for people
trying to make progress on that path.  Or maybe I just don't know
where to look.
I doubt if  I will ever become a core developer, but I could provide
bug reports with specific source
code line numbers if it was easier to figure out how the pieces fit together.

Bill Bogstad