[mythtv-users] U-verse questions

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Mon Dec 21 15:36:23 UTC 2009

On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 9:04 AM, James Orr <james.orr7 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I currently have comcast, which I'm recording clear QAM with an HDHR and SD
> from two digital boxes via PVR-250s.
>
> The U-verse folks came around the other day to tell me it's now available in
> the area.  So ... how well can I get this to work with MythTV?

This is being discussed here...

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/413508?search_string=verizon%20fios;#413508

> Obviously the HDHR would have to be switched to OTA, or if i change my
> comcast service to just the lowest possible (basic cable only) I should
> still be able to record the QAM with the convenience of a useful multirec?
> I haven't priced it yet but I think I might still be saving money with
> that.  I've never even attempted to pick up any OTA signals and I don't have
> any kind of antenna, so I don't know how well that will work.
>
> Changing channels ... can the channel be changed on the U-verse box by
> firewire, USB, serial or does it have to be IR blaster?  I've never had to
> use an IR blaster before, how does the one with the HD-PVR perform with
> lirc?
>
> I'd be getting an HD-PVR to record from the box, I'd like to have it setup
> as much as possible before the installation date.  I see the HD-PVR does
> have SD composite and S-VIDEO inputs as well as the component input.  If I
> set it up to record from one of the SD comcast boxes via one of those
> inputs, how easy or difficult would it be to change to the component input
> later?

I have the HD-PVR - it's pretty easy to change the inputs - Goto
MythBackendSetup and assign the listings source to the component input
versus the composite or SVideo inputs. I *love* my HDPVR.

-JJ