[mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 21 15:30:47 UTC 2009

On 12/21/2009 07:16 AM, Mike Perkins wrote:
> Michael T. Dean wrote:
>> On 12/20/2009 09:34 PM, Michael Drons wrote:
>>> How do I configure SD frontends to only use compatible tuners?  I
>>> have the following tuners in my backend
>>>
>>> HDHR
>>> HDPVR  -- tuner id 1
>>> PVR500
>>> PVR250
>>>
>>> and my SD frontends always try and use the HDPVR when starting livetv.
>>>

>> Right now your only option is to configure your system such that
>> LiveTV always defaults to the standard-def only cards.  I don't feel
>> like describing how, so I'll link you to a completely unrelated post
>> with a lot of info on how the LiveTV capture card is chosen with the
>> many/various settings and let you figure out the configuration to
>> use.  http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/369358#369358
>>
>>> Does/should the FE send a QUERY message for the tuner type?
>>
>> I personally think that the extra code and settings to allow users to
>> specify "this is an underpowered system that can't play back some
>> types of video" is not worth the cost of time to implement, test, and
>> maintain.  IMHO, any MythTV user should get frontends capable of
>> playing the content they have.
>>
>> But, if you feel like implementing some functionality, feel free to
>> do so.  I won't be the one reviewing the patch or deciding whether to
>> commit it, so feel free to ask the other devs their thoughts on the
>> matter/try to sell the idea to them.
>>
> ...so what you're saying is, once I've bought one HDTV I should be
> forced to upgrade all my other TVs to HD?

The display device is unrelated.  Any frontend capable of playing back
HDTV recordings at HDTV resolutions is capable of playing back HDTV
recordings at SDTV resolutions (save some that may be using broken video
drivers that don't do proper downscaling--but even then, it's just a
matter of getting a better-selected-for-MythTV-use video card).

Mike