[mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Dec 21 15:29:08 UTC 2009

On 12/21/2009 03:41 AM, Andrew Stevens wrote:
> I would (semi) aggree with your sentiments in the ATSC world. However,
> for the DVB-S/DVB-S2 platform its a serious issue.  Its not the TV
> stream (there's significant HD content on DVB-S transponders) its the
> receiver capability.  You don't want to select a DVB-S2 tuner for a
> DVB-S source unless no DVB-S tuner is free.

That's what that post I linked addresses--how to make Myth use the
capture cards in the desired order (for recordings /and/ for LiveTV).
Unfortunately, I can write the post, but I can't read it to people.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/dev/369358#369358

>  For the foreseeable future
> the bulk of channels will remain DVB-S and DVB-S2 receivers are still
> *far* from 'inexpensive' (roughly $100 per tuner).  This making
> upgrading to an all-S2 configuration ridiculously wasteful.   As DVB-T2
> comes online the terrestrial folks are going to hit similar niggles too.

And my statement was regarding frontends capable of playing content--it
had nothing to do with upgrading capture methods (as I would say that
upgrading to DVB-S2 right now is a serious waste of money and time as
it's not even well supported and not used much, yet).

Mike