[mythtv-users] Deal with non-HD in SD only frontends?

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Mon Dec 21 14:29:16 UTC 2009

Ronald Frazier wrote:
>> ...so what you're saying is, once I've bought one HDTV I should be forced to
>> upgrade all my other TVs to HD?
>
> Why do you think that? When I bought my first HDTV, my primary TV (in
> the living room) was still SD. I purchased an HDHomerun for HD
> content, and I was able to use that video feed on the SD TV via the
> PVR-350's TV out. Does your TV out really not work with SD content?
>
> But I agree with Michael. Regardless that you may not yet be ready to
> update the rest of your TVs, the truth is that SD TVs are
> disappearing, and most likely you eventually WILL replace all your
> TVs. Continuing to add new features for a technology whose days are
> now numbered probably isn't the best use of resources for the limited
> number of developers, so I don't blame them if they choose not to
> implement it. If you know how to program, you can try to do it
> yourself. Even if the devs don't want to include the feature in myth,
> that's not stopping you (I've wrote a number of patches for my own
> personal system that didn't get included in myth)

It's not a question of my TV really not working with SD content. My setup is
currently ALL SD, and given my financial situation it's likely to remain so for
at least a year or two yet.

I have no beef with the devs adding features to the system that keeps up with
the current broadcasting standards, but as the situation stands /at the moment/,
most myth users are either running SD or a mixture of HD and SD. We will need to
support both standards for a considerable number of years. Remember, myth is
being used in countries where HD does not exist or is only available at an
experimental level.

I record DVB-T (mpeg2), and it gets played back on my mini-ITX front end without
any hassle. If I were to get an HDTV, I would need a beefier front end than I
have now to play back the HD content, and I accept that. But on any other front
end I would also need a beefier front end to downscale the HDTV shows in order
to display them at SD resolution.

--

Mike Perkins