[mythtv-users] MythTV and Pulseaudio

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sun Dec 20 20:50:00 UTC 2009

On 12/20/2009 02:04 PM, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 01:51:33PM -0500, Phil Bridges wrote:
>> MythTV doesn't work with PulseAudio.  You'll have to suspend
>> Pulseaudio to use Myth.
>
> Then why is http://www.pulseaudio.org/wiki/PerfectSetup#MythTV
> mentioning the pulseaudio configuration,

Because it's a wiki and anyone can write anything they want in it.  :)
Note, also, it's not the MythTV wiki, either, so I'd guess it was
written by someone who's not involved with Myth but who feels he knows
better than the MythTV developers.

> and why is MythTV linked against libpulse?

So MythTV has access to the PulseAudio library functions that allow
suspending PulseAudio.

> Besides I don’t really need direct pulseaudio support, because ALSA
> has a pulse plugin. What I need is a MythTV frontend that doesn’t
> suspend the pulseaudio server.

Then you'll need to run one that doesn't run MythTV (as it's MythTV
that's suspending the PulseAudio server).

> Then the ALSA output would be automatically re-routed to pulseaudio.

And your audio would be out of sync and you'd have other issues.

But, if you want to use it, it can be done--you just have to configure
your system such that it uses PulseAudio stealthily.  For how to do so,
please ask on some other (Pulse or distro) forum.

Thanks,
Mike