[mythtv-users] NewEgg Cheap Nvidia GT220 Cards

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Fri Dec 18 18:12:23 UTC 2009

On 18 Dec 2009, at 17:22, Ronald Frazier wrote:

> with up to now). Now I'm just hoping I don't end up kicking myself
> because a future version of VDPAU adds some new killer feature that
> would have worked on a 220 but not a 210. I guess I'll take my
> chances.

I found that scaled SD looks ok on my 220 it looked pretty terrible on my old 9500gt, even with the same settings it's better. Maybe that's the new GPU, maybe it's just the newer drivers, I haven't swapped the card back to find out, the 2xx cards are supposed to have a better scaler but don't know if it's used by vdpau yet, I'd guess yes.

The 210 still has the same newer GPU just less shaders and lower clock speed so the only thing you will be missing is Advanced 2x and 1080p50/60 playback. For me Advanced 2x is a killer feature, evidently not for you, I find 1080p50 playback very useful but that's why the G220 was a business expense, there isn't any 1080p50 broadcast outside of a lab yet but when it does (in about 5 years at the current rate) wow!! It's great that MythTV with a cheapo video card can play back material that almost all broadcast gear cannot! 1080p50 at 200Mb/s no problem, looks quite nice too :-)

For regular HDTV it'll be great, for SD it'll be excellent.