[mythtv-users] How to set up multiple tuners with different channels?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Fri Dec 18 03:39:46 UTC 2009

On 12/16/2009 07:23 PM, Matt Emmott wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org
> <mailto:newbury at mandamus.org>> wrote:
>

>     The rule is that every SOURCE contains ONLY the channels which the
>     tuner(s) attached to that source can tune.
>     Otherwise, myth will attempt to record some channel using a tuner
>     which cannot actually do it.
>
>     In your case, you have a set of channels which can be recorded
>     through the HDHR and another set of channels which require the
>     STB+HDPVR combo.
>
>     You need TWO sources.
>
>     If there are some channels which are actually available twice (that
>     is, available through either tuner setup) then you will have to
>     treat those particular channels as if they were completely
>     different. Give them different numbers (and treat them as if you
>     could get the same network feed, ABC or NBC for example, on 2
>     different channels.) Then YOU will have to choose which channel to
>     record a show on: you choose the tuner by choosing the channel.
>
>     And NO, your two sources CANNOT rely on the same Schedules Direct
>     lineup. What you really want is lineups which contain unique channel
>     sets, without overlap. As noted sometimes it cannot be set up that way.
>
>     Geoff
>

> Thanks for the info. I finally got around to rebuilding my FE and today
> went into schedulesdirect.org <http://schedulesdirect.org>, but it
> appears that there's a problem - I have two options: "Cable" and
> "CableDigital". "CableDigital" has all the channels my STB can tune, but
> I'm already using that lineup with my HDHR. I could point the HDHR to
> "Cable" but that doesn't have every channel the HDHR is picking up.
> Since you said that 2 sources can't rely on the same lineup, do I have
> any other options, short of paying for a second schedulesdirect.org
> <http://schedulesdirect.org> membership?

Just create another lineup using an adjoining zipcode/postcode that is
served by the same provider with the same channels on 'CableDigital' so
there is some differentiation in the limeups.

I am missing something here. If your HDHR can tune your CableDigital
lineup, why do you need a SetTopBox? Or is it for the encrypted HD
channels only?

Of course, you *could* pay for another membership! ( I am a director of
SD!).

Geoff