[mythtv-users] digital sound in parallel to receiver and TV

Bert Haverkamp bert at bertenselena.net
Thu Dec 17 20:58:57 UTC 2009

Hello all,

I'm having difficultly setting up audio out to my liking. I'm mailing
here in the hopes that someone has figured this out:
I'd like to setup similtaneous sound to :
1) my TV via hdmi
2) my receiver via spdiff
I want both the TV and the receiver to output the sound and chose
between the two depending on my needs. (my wife doesn't bother turning
on the receiver and listens only via the TV mostly.)

However, my TV doesn't handle Dolby, AC3, but my receiver can.
If I use passthrough the TV outputs horrible noise.
If I dissable passthrough I miss the ability to listen to 5.1 in films.

I would like to be able to send stereo via hdmi and simultaneously
passthrough via spdiff.

I've been playing with asound.conf. I can send stereo to both in
parallel, but for 5.1 is still the issue.
Does anyone have a solution here?

Regards,

Bert