[mythtv-users] remote frontend on a Mac

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 20:50:53 UTC 2009

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 3:04 AM, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 05:25:49AM -0800, Yan Seiner wrote:
>>
>> Clearly you're expecting myth to be something it's not.  It's a
>> *home PVR to be used among trusted users*.
>
> That doesn't make having multiple users unnecessary. Why did the
> developers go to the lengths of creating a client/server architecture
> but then turned around 180 degrees and aborted that concept somewhere
> along the way? It doesn't make sense.

You are not making sense. You do not listen, you are rude and aggressive.

Your Mac: what is it? maybe its just not up to snuff in terms of
computing power.

Mythtv does not run amazon. It is not even designed to use a frontend
over the internet. Security is not a primary concern (although the
system can be secure from outsiders).

You do not need more than one database user. In a typical case each
frontend logs into the database as user mythtv and all have the same
password. Look for the username and password in ~/.mythtv/mysql.txt on
the first frontend you set up (ie one that works).

That doesn't mean each frontend has the same settings. Each frontend
has a different hostname and has its settings stored in the settings
table in the database.

Yes anyone in front of a frontend can possibly screw up the whole
recording system, by changing the schedule, or deleting your
recordings. As someone else has said (at least twice) its a home
system designed to be used among trusted users.

If you don't like it, find something else or build your own system.
The myth code is open source (GPL), you can use what you like as long
as you comply with the license. However I think  you'll be creating
more problems than you solve, as has been alluded to in other posts. I
can see some situations where some more control over who can do what
would be useful, so we all look forward to your contributions.