[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Thu Dec 17 17:27:53 UTC 2009

On Thu, Dec 17, 2009 at 11:55 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
> I have an old 0.20 combo BE/FE machine with 2 GB of RAM in it, and I've
> never it seen it use more than 1GB.

I find that hard to believe.

The Linux kernel will cache all read filesystem data in RAM not used
by applications, so that statement could only be true if the system
never read more than 1GB from the disk.

> There's just no point in having more RAM than you actually need.

Yes, but "need" is a very flexible word that seems to depend on cost.
As the cost goes down, suddenly you "need" more.

My first computer (circa 1984) had 2KB of RAM.  Today, the software I
write vocationally has a recommended minimum of 64GB of RAM.

Eric