[mythtv-users] remote frontend on a Mac

lee lee at yun.yagibdah.de
Thu Dec 17 13:22:35 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 10:57:48PM -0800, Fa wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 8:52 AM, lee <lee at yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > how do you set up a remote frontend on a Mac? I tried, but:
> >

> > 1.) it's unusably slow
> >

> I never got smooth HD playback on the mythfrontend under OSX, so I install
> ubuntu on my mini mac was satisfied.

There wasn't any playback at all.

> > 2.) apparently, it uses at least part of the settings for a frontend
> > on one computer on another one as well
> >

> I just grabbed the frontend prebuilt binaries for OSX and it worked with the
> caveat above.

It didn't --- it was very troublesome to create another database user
for the remote frontend, and once created, it turned out to be way too
slow to use the frontend.

> > 4.) it is unknown which access rights to the database the remote
> > frontend needs
> >

> This is documented on the mythtv documentation page.

If it is, I couldn't find any documentation telling me exactly what
rights are needed.

> > 5.) the remote frontend tries to update the database and fails
> >
> > 6.) it's not possible to watch recordings
> >
> > 7.) the recordings of one user are available to the remote frontend
> > and thus to another user
> >

> All the items above looks like a permission issue with the db.  Read the
> mythtv docs pertaining to mysql setup for remote frontends.

That's what I was thinking --- but the frontend so slow and no
information about what rights are needed, it was pointless to keep
trying. Without multiple users, it's useless anyway.

> > I expected it would be possible for a user at the remote frontend to
> > use his own settings and make his own recordings and watch them at his
> > frontend, independent of other users at other frontends (as far as
> > hardware limitations of the TV card allow), with an option to share
> > recordings between users if they want to. If that isn't possible,
> > what's the point?
> >

> I have not idea what you mean by this.  I am running a single backend with
> multiple frontends on osx,ubuntu, and the xbox with no issues.  Each
> frontend can watch recording, watch live tv, and schedule recordings and
> delete them.

It's a client/server architecture, using a database and optionally
using multiple frontends. But that's just, sorry, bullshit without
having multiple users. Imagine a big insurance company or a bank with
their data on a server (cluster), multiple frontends in their
dependencies/offices all over a country or all over the world --- but
they have only one user who has full administrator rights for the
whole system, so each employee can do anything. Imagine an ERP system,
but it can have only one user who has all the rights to everything: no
company would use that.

Or take amazon as an example: Every customer can do everything, like
adding and removing articles, deleting other customers' orders, create
orders for other customers, access their payment information, schedule
backups, whatever. That would be ridiculous, and that is just how
ridiculous mythtv is.