[mythtv-users] remote frontend on a Mac

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Thu Dec 17 12:27:36 UTC 2009

lee wrote:

> Lol, who has computers at their TVs? Even with two screens eventually,
> side by side to use one as TV and the other for the computer? With two
> graphics cards in the computer, or one that can supply two monitors at
> a time? Why would anyone want to watch TV while using their computer
> on a seperate screen?

Who has computers at their TVs? Most mythtv users do. Mine is a small box about
the size of a hardback book, it connects to my flat-screen TV by using the VGA
cable (other cable standards are also available), and I control it by using a
standard remote control similar to the one my TV uses. There's no other monitor.
It has no hard disk, but boots over the network from the big server in my
equipment cupboard upstairs. That also houses my Mythtv server. Electrician to
run cables? Eh? All my receiving equipment is in the one cupboard. If I need to
install a new tuner, I just need a new patch cable, if that.

Oh, and NONE of this kit was expensive to buy. I'm not employed due to illness -
I can't afford expensive.

--

Mike Perkins