[mythtv-users] How to set up multiple tuners with different channels?

Matt Emmott memmott at gmail.com
Thu Dec 17 00:23:52 UTC 2009

On Sat, Nov 28, 2009 at 6:24 PM, R. G. Newbury <newbury at mandamus.org> wrote:

> The rule is that every SOURCE contains ONLY the channels which the tuner(s)
> attached to that source can tune.
> Otherwise, myth will attempt to record some channel using a tuner which
> cannot actually do it.
>
> In your case, you have a set of channels which can be recorded through the
> HDHR and another set of channels which require the STB+HDPVR combo.
>
> You need TWO sources.
>
> If there are some channels which are actually available twice (that is,
> available through either tuner setup) then you will have to treat those
> particular channels as if they were completely different. Give them
> different numbers (and treat them as if you could get the same network feed,
> ABC or NBC for example, on 2 different channels.) Then YOU will have to
> choose which channel to record a show on: you choose the tuner by choosing
> the channel.
>
> And NO, your two sources CANNOT rely on the same Schedules Direct lineup.
> What you really want is lineups which contain unique channel sets, without
> overlap. As noted sometimes it cannot be set up that way.
>
> Geoff

Thanks for the info. I finally got around to rebuilding my FE and today went
into schedulesdirect.org, but it appears that there's a problem - I have two
STB can tune, but I'm already using that lineup with my HDHR. I could point
the HDHR to "Cable" but that doesn't have every channel the HDHR is picking
up. Since you said that 2 sources can't rely on the same lineup, do I have
any other options, short of paying for a second schedulesdirect.orgmembership?