[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Dec 16 23:31:07 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 04:23:14 pm Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
> Hi
>
> 2009/12/17 Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>:
> > Building a new backend, and trying to decide whether to go 32 or 64 bit.
> > Obviously it's a 64-bit CPU (AMD FX-60).
> >
> > Only using 2GB of RAM, so that's not a factor.
> >
> > I know it's been asked before, but reviewing past posts I don't seem to
> > see any final conclusion.
> >
> > Normally I'd go with 64 bit, but I wonder of there are any reasons to go
> > 32 (Flash players, XBMC Boxee)?
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> I run a 32 bits version on my frontend and 64 bits on my dedicated
backend.

> The reason is that some video codecs aren't available on 64 bits yet
> (most of the windows media stuff).
>
> Now you can use 32 bits libraries on a 64 bits machine, but it's a
> pain to configure/install ; so to save the hassle I went to 32 bits on
> my last install.

Makes sense. I won't need to play Windows stuff on the backend, and the
Revo frontend will be 32-bits.

Once I get the Revo up and running, the 64-bit machine will be a backend
only.

I've never had trouble getting 32-bit libs to work on a 64-bit machine,
perhaps the apps I have run have been better behaved than some others.
I've not had to resort to a 32-bit chroot.

Thanks for the insights.