[mythtv-users] Myth with Dish Network / DirectTV ?

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Wed Dec 16 23:27:11 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 04:27:35PM -0600, Russ Van Winkle wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >   It seems like I don't see much discussion here about using Myth
> > with Dish Network or Direct TV. I assume there must be some users out
> > there and this is directed toward them.
>
> <snip>
>
> >From the DirecTV customer perspective:
>
> I used Myth with one receiver for several months without (much*)
> issue, using the directv.pl script
> [http://www.pdp8.net/directv/directv.shtml] to change channels via a
> serial port, capturing analog audio and S-video via a PVR-250.  I had
> to experiment briefly with the script to work with the newer receiver.
>  And rather than build the required cable, I purchased one from an
> online source.  Once configured, the setup was rock solid - never,
> ever missed a channel change.  Did occasionally get a bad recording
> due to weather interfering with the satellite signal.
>
> My receiver is several years old at this point, so I can't speak to
> the availability of current equipment that includes the control port.

   I use a couple of their current HD boxes. Tuning with the USB port
works well enough. It has it's quirks but a persistent script is very
effective. What's nice about serial control is that you can query the
box to see what channel it's on and verify that your channel change
attempt succeded.

   I just use the directv perl script that's floating around. I've got
a shell script wrapped around it that checks things and retries if there
is a problem.

[deletia]