[mythtv-users] HVR-1600 analog section not showing up as MPEG-2 encoder

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Wed Dec 16 23:17:22 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 6:03 PM, Dale Pontius <DEPontius at edgehp.net> wrote:
> They do.  Early in the debug of my hvr-1600s (2 of them) I certainly saw
> a very MAC-like number.  I just checked my old messages, and can't find
> it.  The number must have popped up in dmesg or some utility.  But I
> distinctly remember seeing unique MAC-format numbers in there, somewhere.

All the Hauppauge cards do have a serial number, which is used as part
of the MAC address for those tuner types that require one (certain
classes of DVB).  However, many (most) cards do not have a serial
number.

I've had some discussions some of the other LinuxTV developers, and am
working on a proposal that will allow for uniquely identifying the
cards through the "Media Controller" framework that is being built.
This would allow for applications such as MythTV to uniquely identify
tuners even if their /dev/videoX changes across reboots.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com