[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Dale Pontius DEPontius at edgehp.net
Wed Dec 16 22:59:28 UTC 2009

Brian Wood wrote:
> Building a new backend, and trying to decide whether to go 32 or 64 bit.
> Obviously it's a 64-bit CPU (AMD FX-60).
>
> Only using 2GB of RAM, so that's not a factor.
>
> I know it's been asked before, but reviewing past posts I don't seem to see
> any final conclusion.
>
> Normally I'd go with 64 bit, but I wonder of there are any reasons to go 32
> (Flash players, XBMC Boxee)?
>
> Thoughts?

Outside of a few specific types of activities, like large, detailed
simulations, (nuclear bombs, weather, modern games(!)) or something like
CAD on chips, you don't really NEED a 64-bit CPU, and in fact there's a
little bit of penalty for pushing some of the data around 64 bits at a
time in those cases where 32 bits were enough.

That said, there is a compelling reason for going 64-bit. (Put on the
monkey suit.)  Developers! Developers! Developers! Developers!

The developers are generally on 64-bit now, at least in Linux, and the
32-bit stuff is now a back-port.  Going 64-bit puts you a step closer to
the developers and the head.

Dale Pontius