[mythtv-users] 32 vs. 64 bit, any significant difference?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Wed Dec 16 17:13:07 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 16 December 2009 09:51:18 am Eric Sharkey wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 11:26 AM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org>
wrote:
> > Building a new backend, and trying to decide whether to go 32 or 64 bit.
> > Obviously it's a 64-bit CPU (AMD FX-60).
> >
> > Only using 2GB of RAM, so that's not a factor.
> >
> > I know it's been asked before, but reviewing past posts I don't seem to
> > see any final conclusion.
> >
> > Normally I'd go with 64 bit, but I wonder of there are any reasons to go
> > 32 (Flash players, XBMC Boxee)?
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> My general recommendation is that for new installations 64bit is the
> way to go.  Pretty much everything should be working pretty well at
> this point.
>
> On the other hand, if you've got a 32-bit system running and just
> replace the motherboard and CPU with a 64-bit capable processor, it's
> not necessarily worth the hassle of reinstalling unless you have some
> compelling reason to do so.

This is a new build with hardware I have around. My primary reason for this
is to get HD-PVR support from the 0.22 version. Other than that the older
B/E (0.20) is doing everything I need it to do.

I figure it's easier to build a new machine than to upgrade an existing one,
and it won't require taking the old one out of service until the new one can
take over.

Then I plan to set up my newly-acquired Revo as another F/E, probably
netboot it.

In the past the 64-bit versions of the nVidia drivers tended to be
problematical, but I hope that's behind us. I want the new B/E to also have a
F/E in it, I have a GT-220 card to use for that, so I will have VDPAU on both
F/Es (GT-220 and ION).