[mythtv-users] Current Verizon FIOS experiences

Andre Newman mythtv-list at dinkum.org.uk
Wed Dec 16 16:01:44 UTC 2009

On 16 Dec 2009, at 15:45, Johnny Walker wrote:

>>>  Why are you averse to an HD-PVR?  If you want additional HD channels, this seems to be a good route to go.
>>
>> My friend is ex-broadcast TV so he's not happy about the re-compression, he has a big projection screen so everything is very noticeable. Then there is the Heath Robinson'ness (sorry, Rube Goldberg'ness) of the HD-PVR & STB contraption, we discussed this and he rolled around laughing! Anyway he's happy to watch stuff though the FIOS STB when it's encrypted but wants to give MythTV a go having seen my system in the UK. Maybe that will change but for now he wants to keep it simple.
>
> I don't get your references

Sorry, Heath Robinson is a very English thing, my US friends tell me that a Rube Goldberg contraption is the local equivalent.
There's plenty of clarification on the net but imagine something Wil E Coyote might build :-)

> but aside from the messyness of al the
> cables my HDPVR records in wonderful 1080 and 720 with a very simple
> setup in Myth .22.

I see lots of posts about missing frames on here, that further puts me off, he's happy to use the FIOS box where required.
Personally I find the native transmissions without re-compression borderline watchable so I'm generally chasing the best decoders and de-interlacers available. My friend in Boston is not quite so fussy but he taught me a lot of what I know about video compression so I know if I can see it he will. He just might not care quite so much.

> I'm struggling with the HDHR now just to add dual tuning for local
> channels without another STB and HDPVR. Maybe your friends expertise
> in broadcast industry will help him.

We find different things difficult ;-)

> Luckily there's plenty of help available - especially here on the list.

Indeed, especially right now, there's a gap in the knowledge right now, most things you find online are 0.21 specific, not much 0.22 stuff around just yet, getting better every day though.

Andre