[mythtv-users] Current Verizon FIOS experiences

Johnny Walker johnnyjboss at gmail.com
Wed Dec 16 15:45:37 UTC 2009

>>  Why are you averse to an HD-PVR?  If you want additional HD channels, this seems to be a good route to go.
>
> My friend is ex-broadcast TV so he's not happy about the re-compression, he has a big projection screen so everything is very noticeable. Then there is the Heath Robinson'ness (sorry, Rube Goldberg'ness) of the HD-PVR & STB contraption, we discussed this and he rolled around laughing! Anyway he's happy to watch stuff though the FIOS STB when it's encrypted but wants to give MythTV a go having seen my system in the UK. Maybe that will change but for now he wants to keep it simple.

I don't get your references but aside from the messyness of al the
cables my HDPVR records in wonderful 1080 and 720 with a very simple
setup in Myth .22. The encoder in the HDPVR is not a cheap one. Plus
it lets me record every channel I'm paying for. I change channels on
the STB with firewire.

I'm struggling with the HDHR now just to add dual tuning for local
channels without another STB and HDPVR. Maybe your friends expertise
in broadcast industry will help him. I'm finding it a little more
difficult to work with the HDHR. Not to mention that it requires an
extra ethernet port to make it work.

There's pro's and con's to everything.

Luckily there's plenty of help available - especially here on the list.

-JJ