[mythtv-users] Question about testing a patch

Klavs Klavsen kl at vsen.dk
Wed Dec 16 12:09:55 UTC 2009

Hi Harry,

IMHO the best way it to build a package.

I did that for my armel hardware (backend - qnap ts119) and it was
pretty easy.

put it all in /usr/src and do this:
cd /usr/src

If you're on an *buntu 9.10 - you can just:
apt-get source mythtv #fetches and unpacks sources in current folder
apt-get build-dep mythtv #installs dependencies needed to compile the
package

otherwise:
find the sources on packages.ubuntu.org f.ex. (3 files: a .dsc, a source
and a diff)
and look in the unpacked folder (see below) in debian/control - to see
what packages it needs - and install your distro's equivalents, and edit
the control file to fit (just remove the listed dependency from the
control file).

#this will unpack the .dsc for you - and do some checks - you can
manually untar and apply the diff if you want.
dpkg-source -x mythtv_version-revision.dsc

The diff contains the debian subfolder - which is where the scripts used
to build the package is located.

Go into the folder it just created - and edit debian/rules - remove
whatever patches it applies (if they bug you - or if they don't match
any longer).

copy the debian folder into your myth-svn folder - and edit the
changelog file in the debian folder - so the first entry has the version
nr. you want your package to have.

Now build your package:
cd svn-checkout-of-mythtv-incl.-what-you-modified-and-debian-folder

dpkg-buildpackage -rfakeroot -b