[mythtv-users] HVR-1600 analog section not showing up as MPEG-2 encoder

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh at mimosa.com
Wed Dec 16 04:28:33 UTC 2009

| From: Matt Beadon <matt.beadon at gmail.com>

| On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Bob Wiegand <bob_ml at stuffofmine.com> wrote:
|
| > D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:

| >> When I booted the system to test this, I discovered that the
| >> /dev/video* entries applied to the cards differently.

| > This is fixable. Take a look at:
| > http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-950387.html
| > You can use udev rules to create unique names for each card.

| I ran into similar problems a while back.  See thread below for some other
| suggestions regarding udev rules.  I think that's a cleaner solution than
| blacklisting and manually loading modules to get a consistent ordering of
| /dev/video devices.
|
| http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/380971#380971

I wish video cards had unique numbers, kind of like ethernet MAC
addresses.

In any case, I used pathnames that are bound to PCI slots, pathnames
already supplied by the system.  That seems better than UDEV rules for
two reasons:

- I don't have to muck with scary udev rules.  For example,
  user-supplied udev rules must mesh with system-supplied ones, and
  system -supplied ones may change without notice.

- PCI slot numbers can distinguish between otherwise identical cards
  whereas (I assume) udev rules cannot.  This matters because two
  identical cards may be hooked up to different signals

Thanks for the help.