[mythtv-users] New MythTV Web/Internet Video Plugin

Robert McNamara robert.mcnamara at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 23:37:23 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 3:17 PM, Johnny <jarpublic at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Wanted to share something that has been percolating for a few weeks
>>> that you might enjoy.  As most of you know, there have been many,
>>> many, many efforts to add a "Internet Video" plugin to Myth over the
>>> past few years, but each of them had serious issues, whether they be
>>> code, design, terms of service violations, or a number of others.
>>> With that in mind, I asked Doug Vaughan (who wrote the TVDB grabber
>>> and Jamu) if he was interested in working with me on a new plugin for
>>> Myth.
>>>

>> Wow, wow, and WOW!
>>
>> Looking forward to this.
>
> This looks really great, and I think it will be valuble/important for
> mythtv going forward. I noticed the absence of any mention of Hulu or
> any of the major networks' sites (e.g. FOX, CBS, NBC, ABC). Are these
> just in the "work to be done" category, or is there a technological or
> TOS limitation that prevents this. I have been really impressed with
> clicker.com. They have a great interface that lets you search or
> browse almost any TV Show and many Movies and it links you to where
> they are available on the web. Being able to browse clicker.com from
> within MNV would be great.

It's mostly a conscious decision by Doug and myself to only work on
material that abides by terms of service and legality in our home
locales.  I fear saying to much out of fear of it sounding like an
endorsement, but the plugin itself is totally agnostic to what is
feeding it data.  Any script or program which can properly format the
output data and properly responds to the arguments passed to all
grabbers will be compatible.  There is a great deal of creativity
involved in writing the grabber, as it's up to the script author to
determine what and how the data is formatted.  The one thing I can say
for sure is that a) we will only *distribute* scripts which we can
verify are compliant and on the up and up, and b) we are willing to
help add support for any source which is.

Robert