[mythtv-users] Emprex MCE remote ? Help ?

Eric Sharkey eric at lisaneric.org
Tue Dec 15 21:35:00 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 3:53 PM, Alan Marchiori <alan at alanmarian.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 12:25 PM, Eric Sharkey <eric at lisaneric.org> wrote:
>> On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 2:17 PM, Vitani <vitani-mythtv at tfxsoft.com> wrote:
>>> Send them back (Amazon will pay the postage) and buy two of these instead,
>>> they "just work" with Myth -
>>
>> Nearly anything that emulates a keyboard should "just work" with Myth.
>>  You don't even need LIRC unless you want to remap the buttons.
>>

> I agree the keyboard-like remotes are a pain, but remapping keyboard
> keys in myth is pretty easy.  they is configuration screen while
> running mythfrontend, i think called "Keys"; you go the the function
> you want to remap and then hit the button on the remote you want to
> use for that function.

That only works if you have only one input device.

If you have a real keyboard and want "P" to be play/pause, and for
some reason your remote manufacturer decided that the play button on
the remote should emulate a keyboard Z, you need to use lirc to make
sure that the Z from the remote is mapped to the equivalent of a P
from the keyboard.

If you use the key setup within mythtv to configure the keys, it can't
distinguish between the remote and the real keyboard the way lirc can
and will cause a problem.  Yes, you could map both P and Z to be
play/pause, but then you can't do commercial skip (Z) from the
keyboard.

Eric