[mythtv-users] HVR-1600 analog section not showing up as MPEG-2 encoder

Matt Beadon matt.beadon at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 20:12:43 UTC 2009

On Tue, Dec 15, 2009 at 5:33 AM, Bob Wiegand <bob_ml at stuffofmine.com> wrote:

> D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>
>> Yes, the two Hauppauge HVR-1600 cards and the Adaptec AVC 2410 card
>> works with mplayer.
>>
>> When I booted the system to test this, I discovered that the
>> /dev/video* entries applied to the cards differently.  My Adaptec card
>> had been /dev/video1 the last time I looked but was /dev/video0 this
>> time.  That seems likely to mix up configurations.
>>

> This is fixable. Take a look at:
> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-950387.html
> You can use udev rules to create unique names for each card.
> You then use these names in Myth and the cards always map correctly.

I ran into similar problems a while back.  See thread below for some other
suggestions regarding udev rules.  I think that's a cleaner solution than
blacklisting and manually loading modules to get a consistent ordering of
/dev/video devices.

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/380971#380971

A little more info regarding that thread: In myth setup instead of
/dev/videoX I put the symlinks defined in udev (eg  /dev/PVR-500_1).  For
your case I would suggest two rules to catch the HVR-1600's and one for the
adaptec.
For the 1600's I suggest something like:
KERNEL=="video[0-2]*", ATTR{name}=="cx18*0 encoder MPEG*",
SYMLINK+="HVR-1600_1"
KERNEL=="video[0-2]*", ATTR{name}=="cx18*0 encoder MPEG*",
SYMLINK+="HVR-1600_2"

I don't have an adaptec but you'll need to figure out a unique set of
attributes to use to identify it and create a similar udev rule.  I found
this site helpful to get a dump of the attributes (use udevinfo as shown)
and then I picked likely ones to create my rules.
http://wiki.debian.org/udev

good luck,
Matt