[mythtv-users] Need Help/Advice new Frontend/Backend Build

Daniel Agar daniel at agar.ca
Tue Dec 15 18:56:34 UTC 2009

Sounds like a good system, although a core i7 is overkill. You could
easily save more than $350 with a core 2 quad system. You could also
get a less expensive motherboard with only one gigbait lan and add
another with a pci card.
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=31415&vpn=BX80580Q8200&manufacture=Intel&promoid=1065
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=34003&vpn=GA-EP45-UD3P&manufacture=Gigabyte

Nice case, here's a comparable alternative
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35509&vpn=HTPC-6000B&manufacture=NMedia%20System

ATX power supplies are most efficient around 50% load. I don't know
about a core i7 system, but a 350 Watt power supply on a core 2 quad
with this video card and a couple drives would be more than
sufficient. Cable management with zip ties is cheaper than spending
more for a modular power supply.

You'll probably want an HD-PVR if you want to record from a cable box
in HD. Don't waste your time with firewire on a cable box in Canada.
It's inconsistent at best, as the things you're permitted to record
change constantly.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815116030&Tpk=hd%20pvr%201212

You might want to spend a couple minutes investigating OTA.
http://tvfool.com/

Another option is building a headless server to go in the basement or
closet,  then just having diskless ION frontends. The single core
version is fanless, plays 1080p and does audio over hdmi. This is my
current setup and probably makes more sense than having your mail
server and PBX under your television that someone might reset just
because mythfrontend is having trouble.
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813500028&Tpk=ionitx-c
http://www.bestdirect.ca/products/215072/M350/Mini-Box/

Daniel